Tonight (July 1 at 7pm), in partnership with Highland United Methodist Church and First Presbyterian Church we are hosting a time via Zoom for discussing the film Just Mercy which you hopefully got to watch for free sometime in June. In preparation for the discussion tonight, here are some guidelines we’ll be using for the discussions both in the larger group and in the breakout rooms we’ll set up:
- Be comfortable with discomfort.
- Every person is a child of God. Always speak respectfully. One can disagree without being disagreeable.
- Listen patiently before formulating responses.
- Be open to the possibility that God can change the views of any or all parties in the discussion, including your own.
- Tell stories from our experiences, not rumors or second-hand accounts
- Strive to understand the experience out of which others have arrived at their views.
- Avoid using inflammatory words, derogatory names, or an excited and angry voice.
- Avoid making generalizations about individuals and groups.
- Embrace nuance. Know there may be more than two sides to a disagreement.
- Make use of facilitators and mediators.
Here are the details for connecting via Zoom (for best experience, please try to connect by video chat):
Meeting ID – 859 4217 1590
Passcode – 783931
Phone numbers (if you are calling by phone)
+1 312 626 6799
+1 929 205 6099
If using the call-in connection, please use the same Meeting ID and passcode listed above.
Thanks for being a part of this important discussion!